Sunday, November 11, 2007

The Affair




Harvey Fierstein takes the stage in "A Catered Affair" at The Old Globe Theater in San Diego

Sometimes travel brings you back home in unusual ways. You encounter an old love, in a new place. You never knew how you broke my heart that night- walking past me on the stage of the Lortel pursuing a sweet young thing- never saw me standing there. I'd loved you so long... since Torch Song. And I knew how much we had in common- I liked boys- you did too... somehow the commonality made it harder for us to be together. And from that day to this I have worshipped Harvey Fierstein from afar. Never further than the orchestra- though- seeing Harvey is always worth the price of admission. It shames me a bit that he looks better in a beehive hairdo than I do.

I had heard through a theater marketing person in New York that Harvey was bringing a new play to New York in the Spring. That he had written a musical and aside from his own adorable presence he would be joined by the only Miss Adelaide for me- the glorious Faith Prince. As far as I am concerned Broadway should be supported if only so that should Ms. Prince deign to perform, she has as MANY venues as she would like to choose from to do so. And Tom Wopat... I bowled with him on the Broadway Show League when he was performing in "Annie Get Your Gun". He is a real guy's guy and... a definite vintage hottie... it was always a pleasure to watch his jean-clad backside approach the lane.

And then someone said- why not go see a show at the Globe while in San Diego? Why not go and see. " A Catered Affair"- on us? Why not indeed??

I sat gently vibrating with excitement in row L at the Globe- just a paltry few yards from where I had toured that morning. And then the lights went down.

I love when that happens.

"A Catered Affair" is a musical, but as musicals go, more Carousel than Pajama Game. As one fellow outside the theater flipped his paisley shawl over his shoulders he opined to a crowd of his friends- "dark, it was dark" But sometimes it is good,
I think, to sing through those times. Or at least whistle. I hadn't seen Faith Prince onstage since "Bells Are Ringing"- and before that in "Guys and Dolls" loved them both. It has been more than a decade from then to now- she is not the slim waisted chorine any more.. In this role she played a mother who has lost her only son to war- and her daughter was now leaving home- with a city hall wedding as a send off. Trapped she says- in a loveless marriage she contemplates all of this and battles with her past- and her future. Tom Wopat plays her taxi driving husband. Hard working, steadfastly unglamorous and apparently unemotional- at first. I have to say that though I knew I would see powerful performances by Harvey and Faith, I was truly struck by Wopat's strength and his amazing performance of a man who stayed- and his portrayal of what that costs.

And Harvey. He wrote A Catered Affair- and there in San Diego, it was a real welcome home to hear so much New York onstage. Funny, but also, more. It would have been easy to turn his gay brother role to slapstick- and in his hilarious drunk scene when he has threatened to move out of the house ("as Oscar Wilde said, looking up from his death bed at the flocked wall paper- 'One of us HAS to go'") But he conveyed..so much more. And all of it being his wonderful and unique self.

I am looking forward to seeing this again when it comes to Broadway, but... as every peeping Tom knows- a sneak peek is always just a bit more exciting...

:)X

No comments: