Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Buddy, Can You Fold a Dollar- The Origami USA Convention


1000 Cranes- a prayer for healing and peace.

Origami abstract forms

I ran back from the a weekend in Connecticut. In late June, I left BEAUTIFUL weather, relaxation, and the great outdoors. I braved a 9 am Metro North train and the Gay Pride crowd- for this. For Origami USA's annual convention www.origami-usa.org. Yeh- go ahead, make fun, they don't have one in your city, unless of course you live here, in which case you've probably never heard of this event- it is infinitesmally small and a wee bit esoteric, but, like the Dachshund Oktoberfest, eminently satisfying with just the right hint of "Oh you are so tuned into the city"- and it's a bit geeky just enough so to be cool.
Working for the big famous paper store I was clued into this event ten years ago- it seems we gave the folders a 10% discount when they showed their OUSA ID at checkout. I was a brand spanking new floor supervisor at the company's downtown location when that year's convention occurred. The faithful origamists descended in droves, many were noticeable by their indoor-dweller pallor, a slight stoop of the shoulders, and arms bent at the elbows with hands clasped in front, ready to fold at the drop of a piece of chiyogami, that along with a tendency to barely refrain themselves from genuflecting in front of our 4,000 sheet paper display. Their OUSA name tags were also a subtle giveaway.

I was a very zealous new employee (22 days on the job, sir!) I was working at the cash register when a customer stood in front of me, efficiently blocking all light- the man was a human eclipse- at least 6'5" tall and almost as broad. Orbiting this man/planet was a tiny bird-like woman in a flowered dress. The gentleman placed his paper choices on the counter and said- in a low rumble- "I hear Origami USA gets a discount". I chirped (God, I was cheerful) "Yes, I'll just need to see your membership card!" His face fell. "I think I left it at the school" I apologized but was firm- no tickee- no origami, sorry. I had read the memo and followed the rules assiduously- I still can't figure out WHY- rules have never been my friend. I hated that I had to disappoint him- "I'm not supposed to do this..." I whispered and rang the order through giving him the discount.

The next day I was working on the sales floor when the birdy flowered dress lady appeared at my side and yoo-hooed "John, she's over here!" As I turned, once again a shadow fell over me as this man approached. He looked down at me and extended one huge hand out, palm up- a paw the size of a dinner plate. Perched in the center of his hand, no bigger than a twenty-five cent coin, was a tiny pink, red and white origami baby carriage. "I just wanted to say thanks" he said, smiling shyly at me. Over the years I have met lots of members of OUSA from all over the world- they truly are very special, giving, people, who really like paper a whole lot.

I have made it my habit- every other year or so, to visit the convention. I do not fold despite the best intentions and assiduous teachings of my friends from OUSA. Thanks to June Sakamoto I can fold a lotus blossom from a paper napkin and make a heart from a round doily- I also can do two "story-gamis" a series of folds that go along with a story to help you remember the folds- this is the way you teach 5 year olds to fold- and me. My skill level does not match even the most amateur of 5 years olds at this event- these children must learn to fold in-utero, pleating and unpleating their umbilical cords until their birth when they immediately take their own receiving blanket and fold it into a replica of the Sydney Opera House.



A Kamiya dragon model by a (gasp) 11 year old. I can't even fold laundry.

The models shown at the convention are nothing short of spectacular and every year I am wowed- so wowed that this year I couldn't keep the camera still- sorry- I tried. The pictures will barely indicate how special this stuff is.. The ONLY issue I have with this event is that while the origami is museum quality the display aesthetic makes a junior high school bake sale display look like the Guggenheim Museum. A few folks managed to make their displays clear and simple enough to observe the sometimes tiny and often extremely complex works- but for the most part everything was cheek and jowl with name tags so large they blocked the view of the works themselves, often being LARGER than the origami models they represented. At one point I was kneeling on the floor trying to take a photo of a particularly beautiful wet-folded caribou, I moved the name tag so I could shoot the entire model and I heard a sharp whining sound. It turned out to be an angry little man chastising me for altering the "display". I have seen games of 52 pick-up that were more ordered! I said thank you. He repeated his admontion twice more. I wondered if he had a paper clip lodged in his throat that was making this particular recording stick. Or if by lodging one there myself he'd pipe down. I said OK. I WANTED to say- "Hey Bud, go fold yourself a girlfriend and calm down" but I refrained. Barely.

So here's a tiny gallery:

There were a great many origami vignettes completely made of paper

These ships were over 3' tall!

And even sported a ship's cat- no origami rats in evidence so... mission accomplished!

A vivid pilotfish!

A table-sized pod of sea turtles, each turtle was about 8" long- even their "ocean" was made of stiffened paper

Mom and Baby Elephants

I didn't notice WHY the frogs were fleeing until I saw the 14" snake underneath the banana leaves- brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

A peaceful crane

A lovely wet-folded sea otter. Many of the more sculptural pieces are made from extremely stiff paper which has been wet to soften it enough to fold. This little guy was about 10" head to tail.

I liked this stegosaurus but it did not seem he had long to live with the approaching slathering T-Rex!

A spectacular ancient dragon.

Dung beetle.. and dung. How often art imitates...well, dung (this actually may be a first!) Origami poop.

These gorgeous containers are folded from stiffened fabric into bowls.

Barbie has nothing on this wet-folded maid.

In this model, Kong looks like he can actually handle the bi-planes- notice that the female in the background doesn't have satin clinging to her thigh- impressions to the contrary, that's me- not Fay Wray.

Sometimes things got cheesy...

...or downright sleazy!

Or cutesy (my camera clicked this one off I swear- I am allergic to sugar)

For my little buddy who loves the Hungry, Hungry Caterpillar


When a dollar buys a camera (wouldn't Maxwell Smart have loved one this small!)

In the end, despite feeling chastened (I know I shouldn't have touched stuff... I'm sorry) I love being among folks whose enthusiasm for something as basic as a piece of paper so far exceeds my own. And even better, to be in the presence of people whose passion, by folding, is to discover the magic inside each piece.



Forgive me but..May the Folds be with you. :) X

No comments: