Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The Bendel's Cat



I work around the corner from one of the most exclusive shopping streets in the US- if not in the world. A stone's throw in any direction would hit the famous Tiffany and Co., Bergdorf Goodman, Harry Winston and Henri Bendel.

For those of you not familiar a bit about Bendel's courtesy of Wikipedia:

"Henri Bendel is an upscale women's specialty store, established in New York City in 1896. It carries women's apparel, fashion accessories, lingerie and loungewear, cosmetics and fragrances, gifts, and gourmet food. Located at 10 West 57th Street for decades, Henri Bendel moved to its current location at 712 Fifth Avenue near 56th Street in 1990. The store is located in two landmark buildings, the Rizzoli Building and Coty Building, and a new five-story building. The company was delighted to discover hidden Lalique windows during the restoration of the existing buildings. The store has four stories plus a lower level, an atrium with balconies, and 35,000 square feet of selling space."

Woo - fancy. And it's a pretty busy street. Lucky for them- be a shame to build a nice big store like that with all that newly renovated Lalique glass and no one shows up.

But you don't expect a house cat on Fifth Avenue and 56th Street. Lots of people, sure- quite a few dogs, naturally- but one day I walked past... a black cat. Napping in the sun on the sidewalk not three feet from Bendel's front door. In a white flea collar. Most cats possess a serious sense of entitlement- my own cat-Minnie- her life philosophy is "What's mine is mine and what's yours- also mine." But I have never met a cat so relaxed it could sleep in midtown traffic. For a moment I thought maybe it was ill or dead until I saw a woman stoop (in 4" heels- quite a feat!) to scratch the cat behind the collar and watched it arch into her hand.

I moved on- noting that there were two gentlemen of the in-between-residences variety accompanying the cat. They stood a few feet away in the archway of the church adjoining Bendel's.





I pass by this vignette daily. There are actually two cats a tabby and the bolder black flea collared one. They have given me a great deal to ponder. Past my astonishment at the cat's adjustment- adapting to street life as any person would- taking her rest where and when she can. My mixed emotions- "They are using them to get fed!" but am I thinking of the men- or the cats? They need each other. Especially if they want to eat the tiny elite cans of kitty food I see them eating (the cats not the men). Then I thought- the cats not only look well fed and are actually eating in front of folks. I have never seen the men eating. Of the men and cats- the felines are absolutely the better off- in health and appearance. Neither man would even be seen by passers by on this haute avenue were it not for the cats- just two more homeless men panhandling- for a drink- drugs- a wasted wasteful existence, we think. We walk by. Easy to dismiss this animal so close to us- who we could never be like- never be in that situation- not if we walk fast enough, not if we do not look. But our humanity does not let us pass a small animal who might suffer or be hurt. And in not seeing the men- or by seeing the cats- do we lose our compassion or are we reminded of it?

I said I have pondered it- I have never talked to the men- or ever pet their cats. They are a popular attraction there on Fifth Avenue and seem to not lack for company. Whether speaking to curious passers by or fighting for their spot granted by the church against the Bendel's guards who try daily to shoo them away from blocking the Lalique windows, there is always someone occupying their time. I drop a dollar in the cup whenever I get close enough. I am not sure who I am giving it to. It doesn't matter. In the long view the giving of a dollar here of there will not change the lives of the men, who will live as they will, with good and bad habits. And it will not change the lives of the cats- who will live very well cared for as they earn their livelihood and the men's as well- they will be valued and protected better than any Park Avenue poodle. I do it because it changes me. Because in doing so I trust- that giving is the reason for giving, and its reward- no matter where it goes. Even to a Bendel's cat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh to be a CAT... Above it all looking down on humanity. Maybe the Egyptians had it right, they just might be God's. There is no other reason that they (the cats and men) have not been tossed to the furthest corners of the earth by old Henry himself.
Dave T. here just checking in on your blog. Hope the new job is going well.