Monday, April 16, 2007

Trekking North...



I am off for a week for a little vacation in Vermont. By the by if this note attracts any burglar type readers, please pet the cat while you are here- her name is Minnie and she will treat you just as she does me- she will bite you.

I have never been to Vermont- I hear they have syrup. I do not like syrup,,,They also, as of last, night have 18" of snow. So I dug through the shoe archives for something appropriate. In NYC snow boots have 4" heels- we do not so much slog through the slush here in the city as glide above it. Unless we slip, in which case a fall takes on the magnitude of an avalanche scrambling for grasp on lightpole, bypasser or newspaper box to avoid falling on the truly slushy awful sidewalk... Doesn't always work- this is why we wear black. Now you know, tell your friends. The shoe archives have yielded up (from drawer 328) a black pair of Timberlands of the bad-ass period of my wardrobe. I think I wore them once. A man I dated once said- you don't have SIXTY pairs of shoes do you (as if this were a top number). No... I replied. Unless you go by season. He started calling me Imelda Melanie. He no longer calls me anything- so difficult to speak in his new shoes- cement- and the acoustics at the bottom of the East River suck. It wasn't the nickname so much- then he said high heels were stupid. It begs the question "What would ...Tony Soprano do?"

But snow- Vermont. I am going for a yoga retreat seminar introspection thingy. Some folks think I need to relax. I had a week booked at a spa in Dallas in February. It burned down... no joke. I took it as a sign that if the lord above wanted me to be relaxed he would not have invented triple espressos. So this is the replacement trip. The last time I went on a spa trip it was to Arizona- I hated it. Wind chimes, cactus blossoms and burbling fountains- after 3 days I was kicking a cactus and telling anyone who told me to "have a nice day" to bite me.

I called the Inn and asked if they had irons and blowdryers in the rooms. She said yes- but that they were very low-key about dress there. I explained to her that you may be able to take the girl out of NY- but without an iron you cannot take the wrinkles out of the girl from NY. She told me to have a nice day.

You would have been proud of me. I just said "thanks". See you soon, Cheryl. I wonder if they have cement in Rutland, VT.

:) X

No comments: