Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Opinions stated here do not necessarily reflect those of the management...

OyVey Card by Fresh Frances www.freshfrances.com

I didn't shop the National Stationery Show for the Famous Paper Store but an Ephemerist can have OPINIONS can't she? By day two of the show I had broken down and spent THREE DOLLARS AND FIFTY CENTS for a 20 ounce Diet Coke- no kidding- they could have saved the bottle of soda and just slapped me I was that stunned. I drank it- for spite, plus I needed the caffeine and ... the bubbles.

I decided I could love things and take samples and CASUALLY offer them up to the buying team as "humble opinion" (Read here "You would be FOOLS not to buy these"- I know cool when I see it.) Two bazillion and five card booths at the show.. they might have missed this stuff, you know? It's a particular combination of good samaritanism and hubris that I absolutely own.



I fell in love with the line at Fresh Frances- great cards including the Yiddish Christmas card and then equally infatuated with the owner-designer and her mom. It was easy to tell this was the designer's mom- every sentence had the unspoken " there are no better cards on the planet" certainty that could only come from a blood relative. Her mom assured me she was the soft seller in the family... I should meet her DAD. Loved her cards and her really funny mini spiral notebooks. The "I will not kiss and tell" notebook has "I will write it down here instead." inside. The "I will not chase boys" book says "I will make them chase me " inside. I felt I could buy this in good conscience. It says nothing about chasing men. I steered clear of "I will not gossip". I like the sentiment but- some promises are harder to get around than others.





From Notes to Self and Others Postcard Book by Rosebud Design Studio http://rosebud-design.com/
The postcard book from Rosebud Design Studio had me howling. I send cards and letters all the time (BIG surprise considering where I work and that my office is located behind the mother of all post offices). I sent the Ferret one via e-mail to Dove. His "little girls" Holly and Bo made a huge impression on me. Actually Bo did- she gnawed on me every chance she got, even though Dove assures me they are vegetarians. Also if you have never had two semi-rodents attempt to run up your skirt on a first meeting... well that is a thrill money cannot buy. And Paxil cannot calm you down from.

The biggest surprise came towards the end of the show at Bumble Ink. The cards here had the best drawings and a sense of humor so quirky and about a bubble off plumb- my favorite kind. The surprise was that the "space bar" cartoon from earlier in the week was actually from the brilliant minds of Diana Chen and Gavin Wu, more of their wonderful silliness here:

Birthday card by Bumble Ink www.bumbleink.com


There was so much more... but in the interest of humility.... th-th-thhuh-thuhuh-Theee- That's ALL Folks!

:) X

No comments: