Thursday, May 31, 2007

Save the planet- quit washing your hands...



"I am the Lorax I speak for the trees for trees have no tongues." Theodore Geisel-"The Lorax"

I am a crummy environmentalist. Really late to the recycling party- JUST found out what fair trade is and why organic is better for more than just MY health. But I'm trying. I like the little things you can do. I save my container from the salad bar I eat at waa-ay too often downstairs- I carry it with me and use 1 box a week instead of five- no one there seems to notice and I save 4 of them a week or about 200 a year. Little stuff- it's what I can do, every day. And I carry a bag with me- almost as much as I hate all the plastic bags that come home with me- I hate the vision I get of polar bears trapped on ice floes because they are melting too fast. I am not sure they can swim- and the water looks cold.



Best of all, lately, is a chance to be bad while doing good. I LOVE this. I came across a blog called- These come from trees. You can buy the stickers pictured above in bunches and stick-em up wherever you go- your next trip to the Taco Bell (Dove) or the Starbuck's (Kiwi) or the McDonald's ('Neff) can impact the environment positively when you stick one of these on a napkin dispenser or paper towel dispenser. Plus- it's a sticker- some of you may have guessed that I sort of like stickers. Here is some info from "These Come from Trees"
www.thesecomefromrees.blogspot.com

Some AMAZING facts from the These Come From Trees Blog

Testing shows a "These Come From Trees" sticker on a paper towel dispenser reduces paper towel consumption by ~15%
A typical fast food restaurant with two bathrooms can use up to 2000 pounds of paper towels a year
The average coffee shop uses 1000 pounds of paper towels a year
A single tree produces around 100 pounds of paper
A single "These Come From Trees" sticker can save around a tree's worth of paper, every year
Roughly 50,000 fast food restaurants in the US
200,00 gas stations in the US
14,000 McDonalds' in the US
There are 10,000 Starbucks in the US

And finally- Martian, 'cause I knew this would touch you:

UNLESS someone like you
cares a whole awful lot,
nothing is going to get better.
It's not.
The Lorax

Oh- and I do not recommend not washing your hands- just dry 'em off on your tush- you get to give yourself a little squeeze and strike a blow for the environment!

:) X

No comments: