Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Stationery and Stationary- A day in the reign of a Paper Princess



Sta·tion·er·y (stā'shə-nĕr'ē) n. 1. Writing paper and envelopes.2. Writing materials and office supplies
Sta·tion·ar·y (stā'shə-nĕr'ē) adj. 1. Not moving. Not capable of being moved; fixed.

It's an important time of year at the Famous paper store. The National Stationery Show at the Javits Center. It has the combined fun of a field trip and being let out of the office to look at everything new in the world of paper with the grueling pace of a Marine Boot Camp. So much to see- current vendors to reconnect with and tons of new folks to meet. Fortunately for me our offices are a mere paper airplane's throw from the convention center so I could ping-pong back and forth. As I am merely the mouthpiece for the company with absolutely no buying power- it's mostly a big shopping trip, sans credit card, and a chance to covet with no opportunity to bankrupt anyone's finances.

I walked the show by myself. It's my preference to travel sub-rosa, hiding my badge to avoid being leapt upon by zealous salespeople eager to win a coveted spot on the famous paper store's shelves. It does, however, feel a bit like travelling as royalty in disguise and hearing, the industry's opinion of our company's reign. As I stood fondling a sheet of flocked gift wrap from India I heard a salesman having a "How's it going" chat on his cel phone. "Yeah- it's going great!" He said looking at me and holding up a "one second I'll be right with you" finger he continued his cel conference " Yes, Famous Paper Store was here and is interested in our line for their box program." Neat. I love when that happens. In a current vendor's booth as I perused their press clippings, a sales rep came over to me and said "Hi!" Searching my person with her eyes for the badge that would identify me "Isn't that a great clipping? Famous Paper Store (she said with reverence) got one of our cards in the NY Times for Valentine's Day." I smiled. "Where are you from?" She enquired. I intoned the famous paper store's name and showed her my badge. "Oh wow." her eyes went wide. "YOU got our card in the Times- that's your name and quote..." Yep. THAT's big fun. I did the aw shucks, gotta run my mom's calling me, shuffle and moved on.

I am pretty good at the PR thing. My friend Fred attributes at least a bit of my success in all things I do to boundless enthusiasm and a certain amount of "verbal incontinence". I am not quite sure how I feel about it but it's true. If I love something- if I believe in it, I have lots of reasons why I love it and why you should love it and I will talk about it and talk about it and - well you get the picture. I love the Famous Paper Store and all the things we sell. I can happily talk to my friend Gaby, or CNN, or strangers carrying one of Famous Paper Store's distinctive shopping bags with equal ease and zeal. Sounds like salesmanship- but truly Fred pegged it- verbal incontinence. Lucky for me, the press loves a sound bite and I am a banquet.

After several hours travelling row after row of cards, stationery, gift wrap and all manner of stuff.. my head was spinning, it was well past two o'clock I'd covered about half the show. This morning, while I remembered my show badge, my tote bag for brochures, even my new business cards I neglected to grab breakfast and the morning's triple espresso was getting stretched thin. The Javit's Center is home to the world's WORST food at prices that would make a Turkish Rug merchant blush with shame. A big pretzel and a bottle of water easily sets you back $6.00 and the pretzel is guaranteed to be cold and a little slimy, and the water warm. Having the hometown advantage here, I wasn't buying. I scooted across 11th Avenue to the plaza which hosts a friendly, fairly safe food stand and grabbed a knish and soda and ten minutes of bathing my pale calves in the warm sunlight, even remembering to yank my skirt down a bit so as not to provide a lingerie show for my dining companions- a fun mix of savvy show attendees and construction workers. Mom would have been proud.




Deeming tomorrow another day, and the last one of the show I decided to head back to the office. Tomorrow I have a 7:30 am appointment at the office so by 5:00 I was ready to hit the road. I called Gaby at home to announce my unheard of departure from work at that hour and we arranged to meet in my backyard for a visit. Gaby brought me a German iced coffee. As she handed it to me she apologized- "it's cold" she said. Huh? Iced coffee, cold, yes? In Germany, it seems, iced coffee is hot coffee- with ice cream. It wasn't cold and let me tell you. It definitely didn't suck. I sat on the porch and watched Skye play and chatted with Gaby as the sun sank below the garage. It was sunny but not hot and Skye managed to cover himself and the entire back stoop with blue chalk. We walked the garden and I looked at the fig buds, and the infinitesmally tiny concord grapes on the vine and listened to Skye's monologue on why insects are good ("because they like summer, Melly").

I thought about how much he's grown, and it seemed especially, I don't know- I have a birthday coming this Friday and this week marks my tenth at the Famous Paper Store. I look at Gaby, and think about how proud I am of her- turning a B plus into an A minus in English composition- no mean feat for someone whose first language is not English. I could feel the sweetness of time passing. Of stationery, even virtual stationery like the blog, to write on, and a life that very definitely is anything but stationary. It's good. really good.




:) X

No comments: